Kraken revealed as name for Seattle NHL team

by Kevin Nesgoda

Since the NHL awarded the city of Seattle the league’s 32nd franchise, the internet has been rampant with speculation on what they’d be called. The Sockeyes was a front runner that suffered from the problem of already being used by a series of hockey-themed romance novels. Another rumor that seemingly refused to die was the takeover of the Thunderbirds name from the Western Hockey League franchise. However, all that speculation has been put to rest.

Ladies, gentlemen, and variations thereupon: Please welcome YOUR Seattle Kraken.

SK_Wordmarktm_RGB_FullColorOnLight.png

The brand was revealed during a virtual event streamed from the team’s website and other social media outlets. As the presentation continued, the recurring message was that the loud voice of fans really drove the choice of Kraken.

“The Kraken is a name born of the fans. It was suggested and championed by the fans,” said Tod Leiweke, CEO of the Seattle Kraken. “We embarked on one of the most thorough naming processes in sports to make sure we got it right, to find the name that rings true. We wanted the name to connect to the powerful pull of nature here in the Pacific Northwest and resonate with the fervor for hockey in our city and region. And I promise we are going to deliver the most compelling, entertaining and unifying game experience for every fan who enters Climate Pledge Arena.”

A minisite was set up for a deep dive (get it?) into the brand at seattlekrakenhockey.com. The site describes the logo as including a nod to the original Metropolitans logo, a hidden tentacle, and the red eye of the great beast. It’s not just a mythical beast either.

“The largest octopus on planet Earth lives right here in Puget Sound. The Giant Pacific Octopus lurks in the deep around Seattle. According to Tacoma legend, they inhabit the ruins of collapsed bridge “Galloping Gertie” with the infamous “King Octopus.” National Geographic notes the biggest on record at 30 ft wide and over 600 lbs. If you encountered that in the depths of our Sound, you’d tell tales of one thing…You just saw the Kraken.” – seattlekrakenhockey.com

It only took five months for the Vegas Golden Knights to announce the team name after their franchise was awarded. Compare that to the 20 months it took the Oak View Group to finally christen Seattle’s NHL team, and you start to get an idea why fans have been so impatient. Originally, the team looked to make an announcement in April, but the COVID-19 pandemic forced them to delay the reveal. In June, OVG announced they had made a deal with Amazon for the arena naming rights, which gave the former Key Arena the new moniker of Climate Pledge Arena. This did little to quell the hunger of the fans, who were underwhelmed by the announcement.

Another surprise was the jersey also being somewhat revealed during the presentation. It fits the Adidas design, but keeps it classic as the stripes and logos don’t have any extra embellishment. A subdued, but striking design that complements the aspects of the large S logo on the front. Yes, that S is an homage to the old Metropolitans logo from 1915. Jerseys are expected to be available for purchase closer to the draft next year.

image.png

via nhlseattle.com

via nhlseattle.com

Reader, I must tell you, I was not a fan of the Kraken going into this announcement. However, seeing the logo, the sweater, and the full brand, I’m sold. A name as unusual as this had the potential to be hokey or too much like a minor league mascot. However, their diligent work with Adidas and the near constant input from fans has seemingly paid off. With the brand established, the real work of actually building a team can begin. See you at the draft.

You may also like

21 comments

nesgoda@cascadiasn.com July 23, 2020 - 5:00 PM

I like it.

gbeery@cascadiasn.com July 23, 2020 - 6:16 PM

You have to wonder how much of a part trademark issues played in the decision. It seems like of the top choices, Kraken had the fewest issues.

taylor.bartle@gmail.com July 23, 2020 - 11:13 PM

BUT they did apparently have to clear it with Kraken Rum, who is now the official rum of the Seattle Kraken (which if I had to guess, I’d wager was part of the agreement).

nesgoda@cascadiasn.com July 23, 2020 - 5:00 PM

I like it.

gbeery@cascadiasn.com July 23, 2020 - 6:16 PM

taylor.bartle@gmail.com July 23, 2020 - 11:13 PM

nesgoda@cascadiasn.com July 23, 2020 - 5:00 PM

I like it.

gbeery@cascadiasn.com July 23, 2020 - 6:16 PM

taylor.bartle@gmail.com July 23, 2020 - 11:13 PM

seattlesharksfan@gmail.com July 26, 2020 - 6:07 PM

Love the colors, logos, and jerseys. After all this time pushing for getting a team and following every development, I couldn’t be happier with the result. Looking forward to the next steps: selecting season tickets, seeing more of the hockey staff come together, and before we know it we will be watching an expansion draft!

Squid Squad Assemble!

dm@dougmellon.com July 26, 2020 - 6:16 PM

I agree. I’ll admit, prior to the launch I wasn’t a fan but they nailed it. I love every aspect of it.

seattlesharksfan@gmail.com July 26, 2020 - 6:07 PM

Squid Squad Assemble!

dm@dougmellon.com July 26, 2020 - 6:16 PM

seattlesharksfan@gmail.com July 26, 2020 - 6:07 PM

Squid Squad Assemble!

dm@dougmellon.com July 26, 2020 - 6:16 PM

jhackmeister@gmail.com July 26, 2020 - 6:17 PM

I agree, wasn’t my top choice for a name but the whole package is great. This organization has shown that they’re going to do things differently and the name is no exception.

jhackmeister@gmail.com July 26, 2020 - 6:17 PM

jhackmeister@gmail.com July 26, 2020 - 6:17 PM

scheelee@att.net July 30, 2020 - 5:27 PM

Like the name but it doesn’t really flow with Seattle. The logo is pretty damn good, though. Looking forward to them being shutout by the NHL team with the best sweater EVER!

GO HAWKS!!!!